Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Sex Ed Test


Do you think you can read English? Let’s try a little quiz: which of the following 8th grade human growth and development courses should I sign my son up for if I want to order him an attractive 14K gold promise ring, and which one will show him how to put a condom on a banana?

A) Stepping Stones to Better Living: Responsible Decisions
B) My Life: Choices Today for a Healthy Tomorrow
C) They make promise rings for dudes?
D) Why would a banana ever need to wear a condom?

For the answer, you, like my fellow New Hanover County parents, will have to point your browser to nhcs.net/familylife/middle.htm. The problem here is that while the names both suggest that responsible decisions are better than decisions that are rash, wanton, ill-considered, random, drunken, or forced on one by a physically or socially dominant partner, only one of these family life programs has a good track record for keeping kids from prematurely developing a family life. Or from contracting any number of diseases ranging from the unpleasant to the terminal. 

Why stop at sexuality education programs that don’t fully educate about sexuality? Why not a driver’s ed class where they just watch traffic and talk about not crashing? Why not a keyboarding elective taught in cursive? I would have appreciated a PE course where we watched replays from the weekend’s games and discussed how we could have improved on the coaches' calls (I hated dressing out).


Don’t get me wrong: I’m all about abstinence, especially where my own precious kids are involved. I’m also a strong proponent of world peace. But not ensuring that my kids get comprehensive and responsible sexuality education? That’s bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment